Saturday, November 23, 2013

LEGACY: The Possum and a President.

As I sit here to write, one thought seems to permeate my mind, today is a day of legacy. For the past week all the major new shows, newspapers, and magazines have been taking the country back to November 22, 1963 in Dallas. Stories of young President Kennedy have been on overload in preparation of the 50th anniversary of his assassination. As a nation, we have made him almost mythical as we reference all about him as an Era of Camelot. Although I may question his overall significance as a President, it does not escape me; his legacy is securely woven into America’s fabric and will be long lasting.

Yesterday, in Nashville, another legacy was celebrated. It was a legacy that touched me in a more personal way and although I never met George Jones, I will never forget how he has impacted this country. Over and over people have elevated him to the greatest country singer ever and who am I to argue. I remember the first George Jones concert I attended. It was in Ashland, KY and local favorite, Billy Ray Cyrus opened the show. As I stood there listening to BRC, Jones and the boys rolled up in their tour bus. It was the first time I had seen a tour bus and I knew right then I wanted one. When George strode out to the stage everyone stopped what they were doing and looked upon him, because, well, for us it was royalty standing there. We knew what royalty looked like, shoot, Loretta Lynn grew up just an hour or so south of us, so we knew.

Much like the young president we’ve all been hearing stories about all week, I’ve been reading stories of the Possum as Nashville prepared to celebrate his legacy. Over 100 performers gathered to sing, regale us with stories and just remember a hero. Yes a hero. Although he and President Kennedy have had their shortfalls and indiscretions they will both go down in America’s history books as heroes. So many of today’s entertainers owe a great deal to the “President of Country Music,” part of that debt we owe, is to love those who paid to hear you and be kind to those around you.

Perhaps he lost his footing on this from time to time, but he never forgot it. Paying for funerals for friends, Johnny Paycheck for instance, setting up scholarships, giving young artists tips to help them advance their careers and the list would go on. With all his music and talent that introduced us to the man we affectionately called “No Show” his true legacy will be that of simply being a good man who loved. He loved his family, friends and his fans. So it isn’t any wonder his funeral at the Grand Ole Opry was packed or that his final “No Show” concert was sold out with people standing in the rain outside watching on jumbo screens.

His will be a legacy, not so much of songs about a broken heart, as it will be one of love, because if you have never loved then you have never had a broken heart. Thank you George Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment