Monday, January 13, 2014

2014: The Year of Knowledge!

I’ve been thinking a lot lately. I know some of you reading this are saying to yourself, “I hope you didn’t hurt yourself.” Funny...never heard that before. But I really have been doing a lot of thinking on the subject of, “Thinking.” Well, not just that really, as much as I have been focusing on the subject of developing of the brain powers we all posses. In church, the preacher has been talking about the renewing of your mind, knowledge and all around intellectual growth. This has me thinking about how much time I put into my own personal development. Am I doing what I can to carve some time out in my day to develop myself or do I spend it all trying to promote myself? I think I am too heavy on the self-promotion side and too light on the self-development side.

I was told, by a friend whom I greatly respect, I was in the self-promotion business more so than anything else and he is right. Everything I do, all my work, joke writing and marketing is to promote myself up that entertainment ladder but once I get there will I be ready? So this is where the self-development comes in I think. I need to prepare now for what lies ahead so my decisions are clear and well thought out. When issues are presented to me in this business world will I know how to handle it or be able to sort through it?

I think when you are in a profession, i.e. comedy, you focus a lot of time developing that one area of knowledge and other areas connected to it are overlooked. I know when I started out in this business I had lots of questions about it but no one seemed to have a clear answer. I even attended a “boot camp” where I thought I would find answers but to my dismay I was still out to learn it on my own, although I was greatly energized by it, I still was at a loss. No strategy, no plan of action, no great secret, nothing was given other than, “You can do it, today!” Thanks for that but I wanted to KNOW how I could do it “today.” My only course of action was to learn it on my own and I still am. So, I am learning business, marketing, self-promotion, relaxation and lots of other skills to become a success.

As a result, from time to time, I am going to share with you what I have learned and will hopefully, develop into a book, maybe call it, “Answers to the Questions I had but no one ever told me.” What do you think? The Apostle Peter told the lame dude at the Temple, “I don’t have any silver or gold, but what I do have I give to you. Get up and start walking.” I am going to operate on the same premise as I further develop what I’ve learned so for those that come behind me they will have that head start of living out their dreams and becoming a success. You can do the same to develop your mind and give that gift to those coming behind you.

I have now declared 2014: The Year of Knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment